Chris Fong is joining the Studio Other team as an Industrial Design Consultant, bringing similar experience from his last role at MASHstudios. Born in Honolulu, this now-Angeleno spends as much time as possible out riding waves, catching art openings or launching his ceramic side hustle. Plus, Chris is a Chinatown resident and would love to show you his favorite local spots. We are so excited to have Chris's energy as an incredible addition to the team and we look forward to the way he'll grow in this hybrid position. Welcome, Chris, we're happy to have you!
1. Name, title?
Chris Fong, Industrial Design Consultant
2. Where is your hometown and where do you live now?
My hometown is Honolulu, Hawaii, and I currently live in Los Angeles, right next to the beautiful historic LA park in Chinatown.
3. What type of company did you work at previously and what was your role there?
I worked at MASHstudios as a Senior Concept Designer.
4. What would we most likely find you doing on the weekend?
Surf is my religion, so I’m out there in the water every weekend carving waves. You can also find me at an art opening or hanging out at my favorite spots in my Chinatown neighborhood.
5. When people visit your town, what are the top local spot(s) you recommend to them?
Start the day on Abbot Kinney then make it over to the Getty Museum to catch the architectural tour, or check out the new Academy Museum; and finish with dinner at the iconic Musso & Frank Grill, you can’t go wrong with a good dirty martini ;)
6. What’s your favorite holiday and/or season? Why?
I love the combination of eating copious amount of food with friends/family and binging movies, so a combo of thanksgiving and Christmas, who doesn’t love presents? I grew up with year-around summer weather in Oahu so summer is definitely my favorite season, no wetsuits required.
7. If we didn’t have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
I’m about to join a ceramic studio located downstairs from my apartment (Clay CA) so I would start a side business selling ceramics and on the nights I’m not in the studio I would take nocturnal bike rides to clear my head.
8. What show are you currently binge-watching? Or, which show/channel is your “go-to”?
I just finished Ted Lasso and loved it, now I’m about to start Euphoria so my friends stop telling me to watch it.
9. Have you ever met (or want to meet) anyone famous? If so, who?
I had a handful of run-ins with famous folks over the years that range from Steve-O from Jackass to drinking with Kiefer Sutherland. I would love to hangout with Donald Glover.
10. What are you most looking forward to at Studio Other and what do you hope to bring to the team?
I’m looking forward to joining this family of rockstars and the rewarding work we will collaborate on together, I am very honored and thrilled. I am also looking forward to personal and professional growth in this hybrid position, and plan to elevate and grow the Studio Other portfolio while creating lasting and strong relationships with new and existing clients. I hope to bring out more smiles and laughs while we work together, let’s go!