Gabriel Ngaosi is joining the Studio Other team as an Industrial Design Consultant, previously working as an Industrial Designer for an overseas home furniture retailer. More likely than not, you'll find this Huntington Beach local at the ocean on his time off, taking a sunset walk or surfing the swell. Gabriel is also a big foodie— whether it's trying out new recipes or traveling the world sampling new cuisine, he's always up for a culinary adventure. We are thrilled to have him on the team and look forward to the many ways his passion, curiosity and optimism will enhance the Studio Other experience. Welcome, Gabriel, we’re happy to have you!
1. Name, title?
Industrial Design Consultant
2. Where is your hometown and where do you live now?
My hometown was Roxas City in the Philippines; however, I now call Huntington Beach my home.
3. What type of company did you work at previously and what was your role there?
I worked as an industrial designer for an overseas ecommerce retailer focused on home furniture.
4. What’s one of your favorite memories from the past year?
This is a bit embarrassing, but I finally discovered meatloaf after being on this planet for as long as I have... And it’s delicious!
5. If you could only have 3 apps on your phone, which ones would you pick?
If I can only have three apps on my phone it would have to be: 1) Surfline - Essential in getting my dose of vitamin sea. 2) Contacts - I've completely given up on memorizing people's phone numbers. 3) Yelp - For reassurance, since delicious mistakes don’t happen as often as we’d all like them to.
6. What’s one item you can’t leave your house or apartment without?
My one item would have to be my watch, its enduring functional simplicity has been invaluable.
7. What’s a topic you wish you knew more about?
Cooking…I love food, and often, travel just for it. As one who dabbles in the culinary arts, consistently being able to replicate recipes from my travels would be amazing.
8. How do you wind down after work?
This is going so sound like an eharmony ad, but, I enjoy taking a nice long sunset walk on the beach.
9. If you could trade places with anyone for the day, who would you choose?
Elon Musk, the guy is just out there!
10. What are you most looking forward to in your new role and what do you hope to bring to the team?
I’m looking forward to being part of a creative team who shares the same excitement for design and making, both in and out of the office; moreover, I intend to infuse the passion, curiosity, and optimism I have for furniture design into our day-to-day processes.